What an incredible showing we had Saturday night for the AVBRN 2015 Holiday Dinner! I’m so very thankful for all the doulas in Antelope Valley. We have birth, bereavement and post post-partum doulas, childbirth educators, infant massage therapists, and our very own midwife, and more. I’m proud of all the great things we’re doing in and for our community.
First, thank you to Gino’s Italian Restaurant for hosting our event. We had some scheduling problems early on, but Tony worked everything out for us. The Chianti didn’t hurt.
Second, a shout-out for all the husbands (and husbands-to-be) who made the night extra special. What a great group of men we have supporting us! I want to make sure the guys know they’re always welcome to attend our meetings.
Third, I’d like to share some success stories of the last year:
- Heather Turner owns Your Birth. She just completed her first year of classes as a Lamze Certified Childbirth Educator, was certified as a Peanut Ball Trainer, and completed her Placenta Encapsulation course.
- Tesa Kurin was officially licensed as a Midwife in April. Check out Coterie Health and Wellness.
- Congratulations Rosalyn Skelton and Patty Grider…they’re newly Certified Bereavement Doulas! Rosalyn owns Pear Baby Doula and co-hosts the weekly Mom’s Circle meetings. Patty is the owner of Your Peaceful Birth.
- Jennifer Boyd is close to certification and recently helped a new mom achieve an amazing unmedicated birth! Find her at Mermaid Birth Doula Services.
- Jamie Oh is owner of Oh My Doula! She’s a CAPPA certified Lactation Educator and is working on becoming a postpartum doula.
- Erin Behning of Truelove Doula Services attended her first birth and has started the process to certify with Childbirth International
- It’s always nice to see Beth Garza Davis! Beth became a grandmother this year and attended an amazing home birth. She’s an active and experienced doula in the Antelope Valley
- Dorene Vaughn of All Natural, Baby, has been very busy with classes this year and was unable to come to dinner tonight. She and Bill have a class starting in January.
- Anna Tumulty, we missed you. Congratulations on the home-birth of Miriam! Anna is taking some time off of from doula care.
- Catherine Christ wasn’t able to join us for dinner, either, but she was certified with DONA International this year! Catherine moved to the AV this year and owns A Bump in Time.
- Deena Lewis was not able to attend, either. Deena is working towards DONA certification.
Hopefully we’ll have many more to share next December.
We had some great ideas shared at dinner and our brain-storming continued over coffee at Starbucks afterwards. Great things start on a coffee shop napkin and I’m very much looking forward to our meetings in 2016.
Finally, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Whatever your faith and whatever your reason for the season, please have a fun and safe holiday.